- I can’t type more than 25 words per minute.
- I can’t speak a foreign language.
- I can’t play a musical instrument.
- I have no idea how to knit a sweater.
- I am possible the worst singer you have ever heard.
- I don’t have a degree.
- I have the skiing ability of a drunken dinosaur.
- I’m intolerant of bad drivers.
- I used to frequently get thrown out of French class at school for being disruptive.
- I don’t have a 401k or own my own house.
- I can’t ride a horse.
- I’m an imbecile when it comes to accounts.
- I couldn’t work out how to left align the image in this post without it bleeding over the numbers.
- I can’t have kids (my fault, not my wife’s).
- I still struggle to use our DVD player.
- I have a terrible sense of direction.
- I have had 2 discs removed from my back and 2 more bulging that give me nerve pain.
- I wasn’t with my mum when she passed away.
- I wasn’t with my dad when he passed away.
- I’m not very good at keeping promises to myself.
- I once lied on my resume to get a job and then hated it and wished I hadn’t.
- I have never broken 85 on a golf course.
- I don’t ‘get’ Facebook.
- I struggle to accept I’m middle aged.
- I once had a panic attack during a sales presentation.
- I got an ‘F’ in art at school and was told it was only because they couldn’t give me a ‘G’.
- I don’t know the way to Amarillo.
- I’m terrible at cleaning windows/mirrors and always leave streaks.
- I once got the giggles at a funeral for a family member.
- I got fired from a job at the age of 17 for being a ‘troublemaker’.
- I’m a lousy cook even though I worked as a trainee chef.
- I’m have a flabby stomach that more resembles a keg than a 6-pack.
- I’m often grumpy first thing in the morning.
- I only got ‘Merit’ for my Life Coach training and not ‘Distinction’.
- It still bugs me 6 years after the event that I only got ‘Merit’.
- I can’t fly a plane.
- I have no clue how to use CCS and my grasp on HTML is fragile at best.
- I feel sick at the smell of tea.
- I’ve wussed out of doing a parachute jump.
- I sometimes lose my temper with the dogs when they chew my underwear.
- I’m a very light sleeper.
- I’m sometimes incredibly disorganized.
- I am terrible at jobs round the house and more likely to make things worse than fix anything.
- I probably finish no more than 50% of the books I start because I get bored.
- I often struggle to relax because my mind is buzzing about work.
- I drink more wine than the Surgeon General would advise.
- I get irritated when having to queue for anything for more than 2 minutes.
- I have no idea how to tie a sheepshank knot.
- I procrastinate on jobs I don’t enjoy.
- I always get really nervous before public speaking.
Wow, I really do suck, don’t I? I really could get down on myself if I contemplated that little lot for too long.
Fortunately for me though, I don’t.
I know that every single person on this planets sucks in multiple areas of their life, and you are no different.
But, there is a flip-side:
Every single person on this planets excels in some areas of their life, and you are no different.
What separates happy people from unhappy people is that unhappy people are always thinking about the things they can’t do, got wrong or haven’t achieved etc
That approach only creates unhappiness and lowers self-esteem. The fact is, there will always be way more stuff in the ‘got wrong’ or ‘can’t do’ column than the ‘nailed it!’ column, that’s just how it is.
So for today I want you to shift your focus entirely and I want you to leave me a comment telling me something you’re good, maybe even brilliant at. No false modesty and no copping out because you think you don’t have anything.
Because if you do, I’m going to have to add number 51 to my own list:
51. I failed to encourage people to feel good about themselves by leaving a comment.
And that could be the straw the breaks the camels back and sends me spiraling downward into depression, and I really don’t want that.
I’ll kick things off by saying, I’m brilliant at asking questions that shift peoples thinking.
Now it’s your turn!